I like my money where I can see it, hanging in my closet.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On Saturday afternoon i had a rather lovely conversation with a little old lady whilst i was at work. I found her perusing over the many coats we have on display, watching her umming and arring, i promptly went over to see if she needed any assistance. This tiny little woman explained to me that she was unsure whether she should purchase the coat, of course i enquired as to why, and she in turn replied  'Well you see, i can't remember if i own it already.' Typical little old dear.. 'I have six double wardrobes, and thirty nine coats, so i'm not really sure if i already own this teal shade?' Six double wardrobes, thirty nine coats little lady? Oh yes, one for each outfit, and you know she's eighty four - they always have a habit of telling me their age - so she will sodding well buy it if she wants to.

Now i may not own six double wardrobes, but it really got me thinking. Is enough ever enough? There's no doubt that i buy a new item of clothing every other week (roughly), is that bad? Over the last year, i have strictly only bought items that i love and will wear time after time, not just buying into the latest trend for the sake of it. But that really doesn't stop me cruising Topshop on my lunch break. Should we go all 'Gok' and stick to a staple set of outfits? No because that is beyond boring, have your staple items such as that cream trench or fail safe little black dress, but buy those killer heels. 

Looking at my wardrobe now, i dread to think how much it's all worth. For the record i have one wardrobe, and one very tightly stuffed chest of drawers. But honestly, six wardrobes or not, i would buy every single item all over again - i love wearing clothes, does it really matter if i choose to spend my wages on beautiful items of clothing? No.
Will i be eighty four and own thirty nine coats? Probably. 

Do you worry about spending too much? Sometimes i buy things on impulse, but they mostly get returned. The items i do buy are loved and worn over and over. What is too much?

photo credit: 1, 2