the specials

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Whilst waiting for student funds to arrive - my wardrobe is seriously lacking the much needed A/W must haves. In the time being i thought i would show you my loves, 'mehs' and dislikes of the beauty world of this moment in time, there are many products you hear me batter on about but truth be told i'm rather addicted to trying out new skin and body products, so here goes:

Loves.


Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask 

This mask is a godsend, something pretty special - have i ever found something like this on the UK market? No. This American brand Queen Helene's clay mask is formulated to dry up acne pimples, rinse away blackheads and shrink enlarged pores, gross?  But, hey it works a treat. I've used countless clay masks promising to do the same, and sure they make a slight difference but not in any way as deep cleansing as the Mint Julep Mask. Working like any other clay mask, it is to be left on the skin for 15 minutes and then washed off, yet straight after use-age you can visibly notice the impurities being bought to the surface, yes, pretty gross again but the mask is actively working away at imperfections you have rather than just working to prevent new ones forming. I use this two/three times a week and can see my pores improving. The only drawback is that this brand in American, meaning it can only be bought online, i bought mine off of Amazon for roughly £5 - and this is amazing for the size of product sold (i cannot see myself running out of this any time soon!).


No7 Tinted Moisturiser - Boots (£11.00)

I have pretty much always over looked the No7 brand, simply because it struck me as outdated, with thoughts of blue crumbly eyeshadow accompanied by orange cakey foundation was enough to scare me off. But since Boots introduced their £5 off vouchers, it was practically inviting me to try some products rather than just stocking up on the amazing eye shadow brushes that they offer. I am a self confessed foundation addict, always on the search for the next perfect formulation. After my stint with the Lancome lady (for an update see end of post) i decided that at the moment my skin doesn't require such a heavy coverage, and slathering on foundation looks so tacky. So i gave the No7 Tinted Moisturiser in Fair a shot, it states that it is suitable for all skin types, it has SPF 15 and provides a beautiful sheer colour. First off i wondered how can one product be suitable for an oily skin as well as a dry skin? Secondly, already a winner for having an SPF. And thirdly, i don't understand the term sheer..

All you need to know is that this tinted moisturiser covers and blends perfectly to provide a very light base, enough to look like you are alive, but enough to make you look very natural. I simply add concealer on any blemishes or dark circles, and to keep the shine at bay i just re-powder like normal. I have an oily skin, and i wouldn't stay it applies either dewy or matte - just enough balance.


(click to read moar)






Johnson's Facial Wipes (£2.99)

I bought these for my holiday in Egypt last year, since then, i always have a pack of these within my beauty box. These go so much further than just your normal wipes, they check all the boxes for removing make up, but the way they make your skin so soft is just damn right crazy. I went through a stage of stoking my face after using these, in awe of soft they made my skin! Plus they smell so refreshing and don't tend to dry out at all. Winner. 



Chanel Soliel Tan De Chanel (£28.00)

Yes, a tad pricey but this product has been a staple in my make-up routine all summer, in-fact i have used this ever since i bought it and i haven't even dented the amount! This bronzer politely shoved my Nar's Laguna to one side, creating the perfect bronzed base. It can built up to create a really sunkissed glow or applied lightly to contour and add that extra hint of colour. I apply this after my foundation, using the ELF powder brush, which creates a seamless, natural finish. I really recommend this product for fair skins, who just want that light touch of tan. Plus is smells LOVELY, all tropical and fruity, yum.


Laura Mercier Eye Brow Pencil (£18.00)

I have very, very fair eyebrows. Needless to say, it actually looks like i don't have any. grump grump. Thanks to Mrs Mercier, i have conquered the brow pencil in a shade that actually suits me. Due to very crappy experience at the Mac counter, where the SA shaded in the darkest brown eyebrows which resulted in caterpillar vs alien territory, i'm a firm believer in sticking to your own mind, and thank god i did, this blonde brow pencil works wonders!  

Dislikes 


Revlon Colour Stay (£11.99)

For some people this is the holy grail drug store foundation, and i'm not going to lie, i thought so too. Until i looked in the mirror one day and wondered why my pores on my face looked twice the size, for that reason alone it completely fails. The coverage of this product is surprisingly good for a drug store foundation, i want to love it, but i just can't. Plus the shade Buff that i bought, is slightly peach toned which could possibly verge of the balance of looking to orange - it sucks. Another major rant, why the hell did Revlon not add a pump? See all that mess? Do not want.


Benefit Pop of Colour Palette 

Giving this product it's due, i did buy this a few years back and granted you can no longer buy it. Yet, Benefit do still stock the shades with the palette, so i thought i would throw my two cents in. The pink shade, known as Dandelion does not show on the skin. Instead if the pop of baby pink you expect: nada.    It states that it's a brightening face powder, but why on earth would i want a dusty layer of this on my face? Hoola, the bronzing face powder is like mud, it literally just looks like dirt. And Dallas, another bronzer, i personally dislike due to the glitter - ew. All round waste of money, and the brush is laughable. 


Nivea Visage Tinted Moisturiser - unless you are actually orange do not purchase

Bastistse Dry Shampoo in Blush - the smell of this, i find nauseating - stick to the original or Tropical.

And a product that doesn't get enough love..


Mac's lipstick in Chatterbox.

Have you tried any of these products?

(I'm still conversing with Boots on my experience at Lancome, but they Customer Service team are fantastic (oh the irony!) and i will post once i have received further correspondence).