Sunday Skincare

Sunday, April 3, 2011

A couple of months ago i finally came to the conclusion that my 'teenage skin' had disappeared. Of course, with a combination skin i definitely do still get the odd few pimples, but not on the scale i had when i was fourteen. It seems to have (thankfully!) just grown-up, being much brighter and more clearer, and less oily overall.

But over the last few weeks, as like many who are doing exams/essays galore, my skin has been feeling the stress too. So whipping out my trusty Liz Earle book - which i really think makes a fabulous present - i planned on giving my self a 'facial'. No fancy products were used, literally samples i had building up in my beauty box, i'm a stickler for stashing all the sachets away, especially for that one blasted day your shampoo runs out!


St Helens Mint Julep Mask - Amazon / Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish / Clinique 7 Day Scrub / Clinique Moisture Surge / Liz Earle Muslin Cloth / Lush Toner Tab in Tea Tree / Burt's Bees Radiance Cream 

Liz Earle states how to give yourself a gorgeous facial at home - the full salon treatment without any expense by going through this running order:

cleanse - exfoliate - steam - mask - moisturise


I literally used sample products that i had lying around basically to use them up and to switch up/add a little excitement to my cleansing routine. 

I firstly used Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish which i received for free alongside another order. Although, i'm not strictly converted as using this as my main every-day cleanser i still think this is a fabulous cult product. This light cream is massaged onto dry skin, to cleanse away any grime or dirt to provide a clean base. If you are wearing make-up, its best to complete this step twice. 

In order to remove the cream, i used the Liz Earle Muslin Cloth, of which is a definite staple in my skin care routine. Like a flannel, the damp cloth gently exfoliates and cleans away the excess cleanser and grime. These are definitely well worth a purchase, for £3.55 for two and being machine washable, i really do think these are a simple yet amazing item that rapidly enhances your complexion! They can be used with any cleanser or face wash, as well as being a great tool for removing stubborn clay face masks.
  
Liz Earle is a pretty hard to come by brand, if you don't live near any of their stores or a large John Lewis or dislike ordering online (i personally detest paying P&P) and if you do want to give these a trail run No7 do their own version for 3 for £4.49 - which is basically free if you hang around for their £5 voucher offers!

Next i used the Clinique 7 Day Scrub to exfoliate my skin, and do a more intense scrub to clear dead skin cells. Soap and Glory 'Scrub Your Nose In It' and St Ives Apricot Scrub are also honourable products to mention, as they too are great exfoliators i've come across.


Then i steamed my face with hot water and stream to open my pores, simply by boiling a kettle and using (nearly!) boiled water in a bowl and covering my head/shoulders with a towel. I also popped in a Lush Toner Tab in Tea Tree which are a bloomin' good accomplice. For a bargainous 99p, simply pop one into the bowl and they will fizz away to release tea tree straight into your pores for a good clean and detox! I bought a packet of five well over a year ago, and i use one of the odd occasion if my skins feeling pretty gruesome, this does an excellent job of fighting off spots. Once the water has cooled, it can then be doubled up as a toner - perfect! 

They also do Toner Tabs fully charged with Vitamin C and E to boost radiance and overall complexion too, if your one of the lucky few who aren't spot prone. 


After steaming my face for a few minutes, i pat my face and apply the St Helenes Mint Julep mask all over. This stuff is actually amazing! I swear by it, as you can see from my abused bottle. It the US this is a somewhat cult product, it does an amazing job of extracting impurities (most notably stubborn blackheads) and can also be used as a spot treatment to fight off unwanted blemishes. And i'm not joking when i says this actually works, i have tried countless clay masks that feel relaxing and all that good stuff, but don't perform in the slightest. 

I hunted mine down on Amazon for under a fiver, and despite the fact its slightly smells of weed, this is a very impressive product and lasts forever in that giant-size tube.


 After leaving the mask to dry completely for 20 minutes, i washed it off with the help of my muslin cloth and patted my skin dry. I then applied Burt's Bees Radiance Day Cream just because it makes my skin look very refreshed and i felt guilty for not using it from my tin gift set that i received for Christmas. Then i slathered and massaged a layer of Clinique Moisture Surge that i got as a freebie from bulk buying last months copy of Glamour magazine. I have actually previously bought a full-size tub, and it ain't worth the hype. It is seriously tacky to touch and it's a horrid gel like formula. Albeit slightly useable on top of another lightweight moisturiser. 

I would love to say i do this routine every Sunday, but being honest it's when i have the time. I wish i could though - who doesn't love being pampered? 

For those of you that are students and are cramming for exams and completing dissertations and coursework, i feel your pain - and so does my dissertation course supervisor who i keep having bursts crying fits to. ;)